Saturday, October 11, 2008

Weeping and Worship

Today as I mowed lawns like I do every day and listened to sermons like I usually do I listened to a sermon that when I first heard it opened up my eyes to an aspect of the gospel that I have never really considered too deeply. At that time it transformed my ignorant, shallow understanding of the gospel and continues to dominant my daily meditation on the gospel. It has to do with the curse motif of the atonement. Today as I listened to R. C. Sproul exegete the curse motif of the atonement from the scripture and meditated on the truth of Christ becoming a curse all I wanted to do was stop and bury my head into my hands and weep because of Christ's sacrifice on my undeserving, wretched behalf. (I am sure you can see it now, trimmer in hand doing edging and weeping but that was truth working in me not some emotional fix) After I finished listening to the sermon though my intense desire was one of wanting to just fall on my face and worship the one that is worthy of all of my praise, Jesus Christ, to the glory of God the Father. I strongly encourage you if you have never listened to this sermon to take the time out of your busy schedule with no distractions and just listen with heart, mind, and will wide open ready to obey. If you have heard it before I would encourage you to go back and listen to it again. Feel the weight of this truth. Feel the weight of this truth. FEEL THE WEIGHT OF THIS TRUTH. What is better than meditation on the cross and glory of our infinite Lord and Savior.

Here is the link... http://www.togetherforthegospel.org/08/media/
It will take you to the list of sermons from the T4G conference and then you can go down to Sproul's message "RC Sproul - The Curse Motif of the Atonement" and play it.

I write this because of my unwavering belief in Hebrews 3:12-14

2 comments:

Stephen J. Henry said...

Thank you very much for this blog post. I found it interesting even as I try to make sense of the 'motif of atonement'. It was today that i asked myself this question 'Was it necessary for an all wise omnipotent, omniscient God demand death has a ransom? Was it? Was itbeing spoilt and childish or was it fair?

David said...

Jon, thanks for this. I cried during the session at T4G. When Sproul did the malediction I lost it. "May the Lord curse you and forsake you, and cause darkness to overtake you." I want to memorize what he said.

How just our God for having levied the full disaster of His curse on innocent Christ; how precious our Christ for having borne it for guilty us.

May we throw our edge trimmers into the street and fall and worship.